Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to see the answer

Next Steps Center

I received an acceptance packet from the UA. What is the next step?

Congratulations and welcome to the UA! As a newly admitted Wildcat, there are certain steps you must take to complete your enrollment. We call these: Next Steps! Your admissions packet should include a letter of acceptance, with instructions on how to access your personalized Next Steps Center checklist. Once your checklist is complete, you'll schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor. Get started today! Visit:

How do I complete my enrollment?

Once you have been admitted, and obtained your Student ID number and PIN, you must go to the Next Steps Center to complete your UA enrollment. Here, you will create a Net ID and password, and an email account. You will then gain access to your personalized checklist for enrollment, and can begin completing the required steps.

Where do I find my Academic Advisor's contact information?

Contact information for your assigned academic advisor will be shared at the end of the Transfer Student Academic Preview (or TSAP). The TSAP is completed through your Next Steps Center.

Instructions on how to set up an appointment with a UANV academic advisor can also be found under "Student Resources" and the "Advising."  Only continuing students may use the online appointment scheduler. Please follow the instructions on this page detailing how to call to set up your first appointment.


When and how do I register for classes?

New incoming students register for classes towards the end of the prior semester. In order to be cleared for registration, new students must have completed the requirements in their Next Steps Center and have met with their Academic Advisor.

The UA’s University Information Technology Services (UITS) department offers quick online tutorials to guide new students through each phase of the registration process. Click here to be linked to the Workshops page. Then, scroll to your desired tutorial.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

How do I apply for a scholarship or financial assistance?

The University of Arizona offers annual scholarships in variable amounts to transfer students who demonstrate exceptional academic performance. Applicants must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative, unweighted GPA and 36 transferable credit hours to qualify for consideration. You do not need to file a separate scholarship application. All students who submit a complete application for admission will be included in the scholarship pool. The selected students will receive a letter of award.

Admissions Requirements

What prerequisites do I need to complete before transferring to the UA North Valley?

Students wishing to transfer to the UA North Valley campus must have completed their Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or be within one or two courses of completion. Students can complete the remaining general education courses at a community college while they begin to take classes at UA North Valley.  We encourage students to complete an associate degree, but do not require it. If a student completed coursework at an out-of-state institution, their transcripts will be evaluated to ensure that they have completed our general education requirements. If you have questions regarding AGEC certification, please meet with an advisor at your community college.

I attended UA previously, am I a transfer student or a readmission student?

If you have previously attended the University of Arizona as a degree-seeking student, you will be considered a "Re-Admit."  Please see Re-admission Information for Domestic Students

I am a transfer student, will I have to send high school transcripts to apply?

Yes, unless you meet one of the following: 1) you are age 22 or older; 2) you have an associate's degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited institution, posted on transcripts. High school transcripts should be sent directly from your high school to:

The University of Arizona
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 210073
Tucson, AZ 85721-0073

I received a bachelor’s degree from the UA and want to return for a second bachelor’s degree. What procedure should I follow?

If you have been absent from the UA for a semester or more, you must submit a readmission application by the appropriate deadline. Please see Re-admission Information for Domestic Students. 

As a transfer student, when should I apply for general admission?

We encourage transfer students to apply one full semester prior to enrolling. Therefore, if you plan to enroll in a summer or fall semester, you are encouraged to apply in January of that year. If you plan to enroll in the spring, apply in September of the previous year.

To be considered for Transfer admission to UA North Valley, applicants must be near completion of the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) at the time of application.  The curriculum of UA North Valley is comprised of upper-division coursework, so applicants must have completed or be near completion of lower-division, general education coursework.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Applicants and continuing students can mail official transcripts to:

Registration & Transcripts
The University of Arizona
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

In order for a transcript to be considered official, it must be received in a sealed envelope or through an authorized electronic document transmittal system, directly from the institution. The University of Arizona does not accept unofficial or faxed transcripts, or those emailed from the student or an unauthorized source.

What is needed to complete my application?

Congratulations on making the decision to pursue your bachelor’s degree at The University of Arizona, North Valley. Here are the steps to apply.

  • Submit an intent to apply form through the UANV website:
  • Online application for the intended term of enrollment
  • Application fee ($50 for AZ residents or $65 for non-AZ residents)
  • Original and Official transcript from every institution attended since leaving high school (including military institutions)
  • Official High School transcript or GED report (if under age 22)

This will start the transfer admissions process. Soon after you apply, you will receive an email notice confirming that your application has been received and instructions on how to monitor the status of your application through UA Future.

Do I have to send all my transcripts?

Yes. In order for UA to determine whether you meet admission requirements, we must evaluate your entire academic history, and therefore require official transcripts from each institution attended.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

I live out-of-state. How do I become a resident for tuition purposes?

Although not impossible, gaining residency for tuition purposes is difficult. Please refer to the Registrar’s - Residency Classification Office website for information regarding this important issue.

I am a non-degree seeking student. How do I become degree seeking?

If you never submitted a degree seeking (or regular) application, you must submit one and all supporting documents. These documents generally include official copies of college transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (even if no credit was earned), and an official copy of your high school transcript (if you are under age 22).

Transfer Information

I am an out-of-state transfer student. What classes should I take?

Although we have a unique general education structure, students can transfer courses into our programs of study. The best recommendation is to enroll in courses from the following categories: English composition; mathematics; second language; social and behavioral sciences; science; humanities and art. These help establish a broad foundation of knowledge, which is the purpose for general education. For more information regarding how transfer courses can be applied to our general education curriculum, refer to the Transfer Policies section of the General Catalog:

For students from California community colleges, contact a Transfer Admissions Specialist to learn how you can use the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or California State University General Education Pattern (CSU GE) to transfer.

Can I transfer courses from another institution?

Yes. There are several things to consider when attending another college or university. The University of Arizona will generally accept credit if these guidelines are followed:

the college or university must be regionally accredited
the courses you take are similar to courses offered at the UA
generally, courses that are very specialized and/or technical, seminars, workshops, college preparatory courses, etc. are not accepted for transfer credit
a grade of "C" or better must be earned in order for the course to transfer to a UA degree program (see Acceptability of Transfer Credit). Although a grade of "C" must be earned for a course to transfer, grades from previously attended colleges/universities are not transferable, when listed on a third-party transcript.

Please see the UA Course Catalog on Transferring Credits for details.

What must I do to have my credits transfer?

Contact the Registrar’s Office at all of the colleges and universities you attended, and request that an official transcript be sent to the following address:

Mail College Transcripts to:

Registration & Transcripts
The University of Arizona
Administration Building, Room 210
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

If you are a continuing UA student and, for example, take a summer school course at another institution, your transcripts should be sent to the UA Registrar’s Office at the above address.

Must I complete an associate’s degree before I transfer to UA North Valley?

No. An associate’s degree is not required to transfer to the UA. Students who wish to attend UA North Valley must have completed their Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) or general education equivalent.  You can check with your community college advisor to make sure that you are on track to complete your AGEC requirements. Additionally, students can only apply 64 semester units from a community or junior college toward their University of Arizona degree program.

Does UA accept military credit?

Some military credit can be applied toward The University of Arizona degree. In order to have your military work evaluated, send the appropriate documents to the Office of Admissions for review. Some credit can be earned depending on your rank in service, and amount of time spent serving in the military. Other credit will be evaluated on a course by course basis to determine how compatible the credit might be with our curriculum.